Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kindergarten!

Ready or not...here he comes!

The day has finally come for Gabe to start Kindergarten! He has been so excited, he could hardly wait! Last night he made sure everything was ready - backpack, clothes, snack...

This morning he woke up ready to go! He quickly and dilligently did all of his before school chores. Then, the toe tapping and repeated "Is it time to go yet?" began. Luckily he didn't have too long to wait!

I'm not sure what he was doing here. I just know he was so excited he could hardly stand still!

Ah, that's better!

Our general plan is going to be to walk to school, but with it being the first day of school I let him decide how we would get there. He decided that today and tomorrow he'd like to drive to school and start walking next week. I thought that was a pretty good compromise, until we drove this morning and had to park far enough away that we should have just walked! Oh well...


And he's off!

He got out of the car and started skipping/running/jumping his way down the sidewalk, he was so excited! When we got to the classroom, we waited in line for Ms. Sullivan to greet us at the door. She asked Gabe his name and he proudly said, "Gabriel Merritt Piton" and then went to on tell her his middle name is after his great-grandpa, etc., etc. It was more information than she really needed, but oh well!


She invited Gabe to come in, put his backpack on a chair and find an activity to do with his mom. The classroom was full of parents and younger siblings. I wasn't sure how long I was supposed to stay, so I watched while Gabe worked on a couple of puzzles. I knew I'd been there long enough when he looked up and started this conversations...

Gabe: "So, when are you going to leave?"

Me: (laughing) "Sheesh!"

Gabe: (a little sheepish) "Sorry, I just wanted to know..."

Me: "So you don't need me anymore, huh?"

Gabe: "I still need you, but I just want to know when you're leaving!"



You can leave now mom!

None of the other parents had left yet, I hated to be the first to leave. But, just then I heard one of the parents ask the teacher how long we needed to stay. Her response was as long as our child needs us there...well, that gave me the all-clear to leave!

He came home and reported that he'd had a great day!

No comments: