Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Future Bread Winner


Gabe made his first legitimate (not from a friend or family member) quarter today! At the grocery store this morning, we had a nice lady in line behind us who engaged the boys in conversation while I emptied the cart (I liked this lady right away! It's been awhile since I've been able to empty the cart without helpers!). Anyway, while Gabe was helping me bag the groceries, she continued to talk to the boys and tell Gabe what a wonderful helper he was. As we were getting ready to leave, she said to Gabe, "You know I could use a strong boy to help me bag my groceries. If you help me, I'll give you a quarter." Well, Gabe's eyes were as big as saucers at the mention of money. He quickly ran over to help her. Meanwhile, Will really wanted to get out of the cart and help, but there was NO WAY I was going to let him loose! Gabe finished helping her and she rewarded him with a bright shiny quarter. He was in heaven! He told her he was going to put it in his piggy bank so he could buy a fish for his dad's aquarium. I thanked the lady and we continued on our way.

On the way out the door, Gabe found a penny! You'd have thought he won the lottery! He just beamed and said, "Wow, mom! I am so lucky today!" The downside of this fun trip to the store is that now Gabe is looking to get paid for everything! It won't take him long to realize that mom is not nearly so generous as the lady at the store...
(Oh, and by the way, the quarter did make it into his piggy bank. I asked him to get he quarter so I could take his picture, he brought me the bank and I pulled out a quarter that I knew was not the right one (his new quarter had South Carolina on the back, the one I pulled out had some other state...). After we took the picture, he examined the quarter a little more closely and then told me that we needed to find the quarter the lady gave him and take another picture with the right quarter! Somehow, I managed to change the subject, he happily returned the quarter, and went on his way.)

2 comments:

Amber, Dan, and Fam said...

Yay for Gabe! He looks so proud in that picture. Too cute. :)

Shannon P. said...

Jodie- Cute blog! It was so fun to talk to you and fun to know about your blog,check our mine!