The boys were marvelous the whole time we were gone! We really couldn't have asked for them to be any better. Well, except for the saga of the rolling backpack...I bought Gabe a rolling backpack for the trip and then to later be used at preschool. Will had a different plan in mind. Will wouldn't let anyone touch or even look at the backpack. He rolled it through the airport yelling "Mine!" at anyone who even looked at him. And there was no chance of it being stored under the seat on the plane, he hugged it during take offs and landings. Try holding an almost 2 year old on your lap who alternates between hugging a backpack yelling "Mine!" and plastering his face to the window (while grabbing my face to make sure I'm looking too) yelling "Plane, mama, plane!" That's one of the reasons we opted for Dramamine on the way home (and we've hidden the backpack).
Our first full day there, we went to the Milwaukee County Zoo with Mark's brothers and nephew. Gabe was bound and determined to see an octopus. Not too long into our day, we found the octopus! It was a big hit. The boys enjoyed getting reacquainted with their cousin Ty (who always had to be pushing something!) and seeing the animals. A ride on the train topped off the outing!
The main purpose of our trip was for Mark's brother Steve's wedding. From the time we arrived, Will basically became a growth on Uncle Steve's side. I was afraid Will was going to yell out "Unca Steve!" and run to him during the wedding ceremonies. Luckily, he was a good little boy and just whispered and pointed.
Friday was the Catholic ceremony and Saturday was the Sikh ceremony and reception. Friday was when we met up with the rest of Mark's immediate family. Mark's sister Sue took one look at Will and exclaimed, "You've found your people!" (Will definitely hails from the Piton side of the gene pool.) It was a beautiful ceremony and a great day of getting the boys reintroduced to the various aunts, uncles, and cousins (some of whom had never met Will).
Saturday was wonderful, but really long for the boys. At the Sikh ceremony we all needed to keep our he
ads covered. Surprisingly, the boys didn't mind wearing the cloths on their heads and I think Will actually enjoyed wearing his. They were pretty well behaved during the ceremony. The ceremony was beautiful and it was great to introduce the boys to a new culture. Will loved the Indian food that we had for lunch. I was trying to share my plate with him, but he wanted it all to himself. Gabe wasn't the biggest fan of the food, but I can't say I was surprised seeing as his diet mainly consists of bran flakes and peanut butter and honey sandwiches! Between the wedding and the reception, we found some time to swim and play with the cousins. We didn't last too long at the reception because apparently an empty stomach, a kiddie cocktail (sprite and kool aid?), being tired, and dancing don't mix very well. Gabe threw up all over Mark. By the time we got him up to the room to change him he was already pleading to go back to the party and dance. He was fine from then on, but we decided to call it a night.
We spent our final night with Uncle Steve and Aunt Nav. They took us to a marvelous pizza place in Milwaukee. It was perfect for the boys (which was why we loved it!). It was buffet style and then you had your choice of dining areas. We chose the one with the big screen tv playing Shrek. We didn't hear a peep out of the boys. I think it was the most relaxing meal we had the whole time we were gone! After we ate, Gabe found another room that was designed for kids under 8. It had a water area, train room, super sized lego room, a huge play structure, a play pizza restaurant, and face painting. It was a great ending to a wonderful trip.



2 comments:
YES!!! I am the first to comment. Well done and you are a marvelous journal writer. Please keep it up because it was fun to read and see pictures. I always thought I would catch a time where Kiera just fell asleep in a weird spot but it hasn't happened. Maybe because she never slows down until I actually pin her to her bed.
Love ya. Can't wait to come in November. Amy
Why is it always a competition with Amy? - She had to be the FIRST to comment. Well, as the resident "#2", I just want to say this is a great way to keep everyone up to speed on the Piton family. Have the boys learned how to make Butterfinger Milkshakes yet?
XO, David
Post a Comment